Get the look : cosy bedroom with character
1. If you want to work printed textiles into your scheme, sticking to a simple colour palette will ensure a cohesive look. Build on the mix-and-match theme by teaming your selected duvet set with an alternative pair of pillows in a pattern of a different scale.
2. To style this look, begin with two pillows in black and white. Fold the sheet over the duvet, then stack the pillows behind the fold, one on top of the other for visual effect. Add a euro pillow for height and a velvet cushion for texture; we’ve used rusty hues to bring warmth to the neutral bedding.
3. With your bed linen basics sorted, it’s time to amp up the personality. Choose two or three hero cushion designs; go for prints in a variety of weights and styles. A throw on the end of your bed is more than just a cosy comforter – it also grounds the scene and breaks up the duvet’s print. To achieve that casually-tossed-here look, take opposite corners of the throw and stretch them towards the sides of the bed.
4. When it comes to your bedside tables, think carefully about what you really need: storage? Space for a lamp? Mismatched tables can add an interesting dimension. Meanwhile, a textured bedhead in a neutral colour provides an additional layer of comfort. Style it simply with a pair of pillows, or use it as a backdrop for an array of cushions, as we have here.
5. Think outside the square – the decorations on your walls don’t have to be framed artworks. Everyday items, such as hats, can become beautiful when grouped together. Follow the stylists’ rule and arrange them in groups of three or five. (Photos featuring artwork by Samantha Totty.)
Now you've got the tips and inspiration, why not enter our contest? Share your sleep space style to be in to win a $1,500 Città gift card, plus the chance to be featured in the pages of homestyle!
Entries close Monday 15 May, so get styling! Click here for more T's and C's.